Feb 26, 2024
Sports coaching is a field with diverse content areas and athletic populations. This certificate enables students to combine sport specific content, scientific knowledge, and pedagogical practices in preparation for the continually changing world of athletic coaching. At the completion of the program, students will meet the requirements to coach in the state of Wyoming.
If you currently hold a Wyoming Educator License, please speak with the lead faculty before beginning this program. After completing required coursework, current Wyoming Educator license holders must apply to add a Coaching Endorsement to your Educator License.
Contact information is available on the Exercise Science program website.
Map your individual academic plan of courses with your Student Success Coach.
If students choose to transition to another program within the Health Sciences & Wellness pathway, they should be particularly aware of the choice points that indicate when a decision to branch off into another program must be made to ensure credits and time are not lost.
Coursework common to all degrees within this pathway is indicated by CAC, Common Academic Coursework, in the program map.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Analyze sport specific techniques in a variety of settings such as practice, competition, and conditioning.
- Incorporate concepts of an athlete’s psychological and physical health to improve performance
- Recognize high-risk situations, as well as unsafe equipment, facilities, and environmental conditions in order to ensure the safety of the athletes.
- Implement research-based, developmentally appropriate drills and teaching techniques that support athlete development while maintaining safety
- Qualify for employment as a coach by the Wyoming PTSB.
- Develop practice plans specific to a chosen sport.
- Implement modifications, as needed, to correct unsafe conditions in a variety of settings such as practice, competition, and training.
- Submit coaching application to Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board.
- Enter the job market or continue working on Physical Education Teacher Education or Sports Performance & Coaching degree
Semester Total: 16 Credits
Program Credit Hour Total: 16
The information below is intended to be a guide, and does not guarantee regional job placement, job availability, or a specific wage after completion of the program.
The Exercise Science - Coaching, CD is intended for students who are wishing to start a career in athletic coaching. The certificate is embedded within the Physical Education Teacher Education degree as well as within the Sports Performance and Coaching degree.
Additional information on careers in Athletic Coaching available through Career Coach.
LCCC courses may transfer to institutions in addition to those with formal articulation agreements. Students are strongly encouraged to determine the degree requirements and transfer policy of the specific college/university and program to which they plan to transfer.